Not So Long Ago

old farm

1939 – Present Over the next few years’ things changed for the Village. The Blue Ridge Inn burned to the ground in 1912 and the railway stopped its Bluemont operations in 1939. Once considered a thriving destination for the Washington ...

The Middle The Resort Era/The Railroad Era

old postcard

1893 – 1939 The Resort Era began in 1893 with the building of the Blue Ridge Inn near Bears Den Rock. Built by Washington businessman Jules Demonet and financially aided by William Lynn of Airmont. The Inn was a popular location ...

From the Start

horse illustration

1769 – 1865 In 1769, the land on which our village lies was conveyed to John Augustine Washington, half-brother of George Washington, from George Carter who had received a land patent from Lord Fairfax. Washington, in turn, ...

Community Center

town gathering place

Bluemont Community Center (1921): The building that is now the Bluemont Community Center housed the Bluemont School (1921-1962). It was built through the help of a donation of land and $5,000 from Dr. Rufus Humphrey to the Loudoun ...

EE Lake Store & Old Post Office

historic town store

Built by Edward E. Lake in about 1901, the two story building at the corner of Snickersville Turnpike and Railroad Street has served a a post office, an ice cream parlor, a barbershop and most famously a general store.  A branch of the ...

Plaster Family Doctors

rural doctor

Born near Unison, in 1826 George Plaster graduated from the University of Maryland Medical School in Baltimore in the late 1840’s. He practiced in Unison for a short time and then became victim to Gold Fever in 1849. Accompanied by 11 ...

The Snickersville Academy

Bluemont log cabin

Bluemont Village’s First School & Church 1825 1825   Amos Clayton donated one half acre of land behind the stone tavern, Carrington House, for the school, nondenominational church, and a village meeting hall – The Snickersville ...

The Claytons

historic building Bluemont

Clayton Family – In 1777 Edward Snickers sold his 624 acres on the east side of the Blue Ridge to Richard Wistar of Philadelphia. In 1769 Richard’s son Dr. Caspar Wistar sold it to William Clayton. Clayton established a farm on ...

Edward Snickers

historic figure

Edward Snickers (born about 1735 – died 1790) Edward Snickers purchased 624 acres of this tract in 1769. Snickers operated the Shenandoah Ferry at the Gap and kept a tavern on the river. First referred to in early legal documents as a ...

© 2020 Official Website for Bluemont Heritage
Website Developed by Wicked Design.