Clayton Family – In 1777 Edward Snickers sold his 624 acres on the east side of the Blue Ridge to Richard Wistar of Philadelphia. In 1769 Richard’s son Dr. Caspar Wistar sold it to William Clayton. Clayton established a farm on the eastern shoulder of the Blue Ridge just south of the Gap—the site of present-day Bluemont. It was his son Amos Clayton who built the stone manor house, Clayton Hall, which is still on the corner of Snickersville Turnpike and Clayton Hall Road.
In 1813, William Clayton willed four lots to his children. In 1825 William’s son Amos Clayton donated one-half acre of land for a school, nondenominational church, and village meeting hall–the Snickersville Academy–a log structure that now stands unattended across the turnpike from Clayton Hall. By 1830 there was a school and church, a general store and tavern, a shoemaker a carpenter, an undertaker, a wheelwright, a blacksmith and a doctor. The 1830 census showed number of inhabitants as 33 free white males, 38 free white females and 8 female slaves, and one free female negro (living in the Amos Clayton household)
The Clayton family continued as leaders in the village. The passing of Amos Clayton in 1829, left Martha Clayton as the head of the family. After Martha’s death in 1845 , the name Clayton disappears from the records of the village, except for “Clayton Hall” the stone house that Amos built.